Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Can't get enough of the Outdoors!!

Well the other day we were called up to go on yet another spontaneous camping trip, so we quickly packed up and drove east to Queen Creek Canyon. Erik and I went with another couple and another friend, and Robyn and I spent the first day watching the boys climb and playing with the dogs. The weather was great--about 90 degrees, with an occasional cloud cover, and warm at night.

Where we hiked to to get to the good climbing spot we had to do a lot of climbing ourselves, with 2 dogs that are definitely not good at climbing up rock walls themselves, so with one of the dogs (especially since she had a broken toe) we put her in Adrian's pack. She just sat there and didn't mind a bit! The other dog is a little less docile, so we had to lift him up high rock faces, which was pretty entertaining as well.
While Robyn and I hung out below where the guys were climbing we noticed a chunk of rock that didn't really seem right... I got closer and realized it was a lizard! But not small like the ones we see everywhere scurrying around. This was about 10 inches long. I found out later it's called a Clark's Spiny Lizard. It posed for a while so I could get a decent shot, then darted away when it was tired of sitting there.
In the end we had a great campsite (primitive camping of course), with good times as always, just the 5 of us. Thank God for "cooler" temperatures that weekend of 90° days and 70° nights!

1 comment:

A Dog's Life said...

Spikey little guy. Gotta love lizards! The climbing looks scarey to me who is afraid of heights......