Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gardening just for Old People?

The other day I went into Target to buy some more plants cuz they're uber cheap there... and the lady at the desk said "You're probably the youngest person we've had into gardening around here, I give you props." Is it seriously only old women that garden anymore?? I so wish I had a house so I could have a garden! Is that silly? I love plants and enjoy taking care of them and watching things grow from a seed. So does Erik. Besides, it gives me something to do. We have 10 potted plants on our deck, 3 of which are planted key lime seeds to see if we can get lime trees. I know they probably won't produce limes, but it's worth a try! My favorite plant I have, which happens to be my second favorite flower, is an orange hibiscus. (My favorite flower is the plumeria.) They're pretty cool because the flower lasts only a day and a half, then they close up and fall off, and just hours later, new flowers will open up from the next buds, and they just keep going! Sooo pretty.

That's what's great about living in the southern states -- we can get by growing sub-tropical plants like this. They wouldn't last in Oregon because of the cold winters.

Another supercool plant I have is a tiny orange cactus called a "hibotan", also called a "moon cactus" or "ruby ball". It's so cute!!

We also have jades, aloe plant, and more succulents that I don't have to water often. I'll let you know if our lime trees grow ;). Soon I'm going to start growing tomatoes, cilantro, basil, and anything else we use to cook with! I also want "hens and chickens" because they remind me of my Bumper (grandpa), and they produce pretty amazing flowers.

1 comment:

A Dog's Life said...

I had a garden when I lived in Richland, OR. I grew great tomatoes, cantelope, pumpkins, and raspberries! Can't garden where I am now. :( I like the little pink cactus picture!