Monday, November 16, 2009

On the move again!


I'm moving to Utah!

Where to start... Ok, so the past couple weeks have been quite busy. I road-tripped to Wyoming with my friends Bryce and Jared for a friend's wedding, and on the way back stopped in Utah for a week so I could job-search. (Pictures of the road trip I will post soon.) I chose Utah because I have so many old friends out there I would love to be near for a while, and I love all of the outdoor activities Utah has to offer. Not to mention I love living in a place with mountains as the backdrop, and I'd take snow over rain any day.

After job searching for a year and a half all over Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Washington and California, I found myself a job in Orem, UT after one day of job searching there. So I feel like that's telling me something, and it's where I belong right now. It will be nice to have a change in life for a while; I'm excited to see what life throws at me there!

Bryce, Jared and I left Utah on Friday, and since they need me to start work this coming Wednesday, I leave tomorrow (Tuesday)! It's been a fast-paced weekend of packing and saying hello and goodbye to my family and friends here in Oregon, but I will be back for Christmas.

The job is a sales/printing job at a camera/photography shop called "Inkley's Cameras" (Ritz Cameras without the name change). It was the only job out of 6 I applied for that week that I wanted, and happened to be the only one hiring. The manager liked my application more than anyone else's, and liked me a lot so hired me before giving me a formal interview, haha. The job is part time (~32 hours) but could increase soon. I might find myself another part-time job if I need it. I'm excited though, because although this job is not in my "field" (wildlife), it is in my greatest interest right now, since photography is my passion at the moment. At this shop I can learn about all the equipment, AND get discounts!! :) My dream is to work for a magazine like National Geographic or Nature, take photographs and write columns about them. This is where my degree and knowledge of wildlife and earth sciences would come in. So I feel this is something that is needed to get me started in all of that. While I'm at this job, I will continue to search for wildlife jobs in the area, but there has just been nothing for quite some time because of budgeting.

I'll be staying with a friend Amanda until I find a place to live, which shouldn't take long. I'll post my new address as soon as I have one ;).
I will try my best to update this more often, but please check out my new photography blog www.hollandbanksphotography.blogspot.com where I will be adding pictures as often as I can. I've already had 2 clients!

1 comment:

A Dog's Life said...

Wonderful! And a beautiful place to be. I can't wait to see the new photos you'll take there!