Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

It's been a week and a half since I moved to Utah, and I feel so good about it. I feel like I am moving on in life finally, rather than being stuck in Limbo. I finally have a job that I can use in my future photography career (yes, I will tie my degree into that as well), and am happy with my surroundings.

Since I was not going home for Thanksgiving this year, my good friend's mom invited me over to their place in Logan. I grew up with this family when I was ages 8 through 14. They were like a second family to me. So when I got the invite I was so happy I had somewhere to go, and it was just wonderful. I felt like I was at home with them, and, (no offense mom) I didn't even miss being home for the holiday. It's really interesting to have other family's Thanksgiving dinners to see what else people do. And it was oohhh so good! Us "kids" also made gingerbread houses, and after about 20 minutes of making them we became quite lazy and didn't decorate them too much, but it was still fun!

After dinner, Lindsay's daughters and Elise put on tu-tu's and danced around the living room. I got this cool shot of Lindsay's oldest daughter, Audrey, twirling.

Samantha, Elise and I left around 4pm since they had to drive all the way to St. George 5 hours away, and they dropped me off back in Provo around 6pm.

It's really cold here and the mountains all around us have a nice dusting of fresh snow on them. The day before Thanksgiving I was getting ready to leave for Logan, and the power in my apartment went out. I didn't think much of it since it happens all the time back at home, and left. When I came back the following day, Thanksgiving night, the power was STILL out. It was 57 degrees in the place, pitch dark and I was all by myself! Who could I interrupt from their Thanksgiving dinner to have me come over? The only person in town happened to be one of my best friends from high school, who is so caring and easy-going, and I gave her a call. She invited me over for their little dinner they were having with a couple friends, no problem at all. So I went and had a second Thanksgiving dinner. She was so kind to accommodate me with a warm room and a hot shower! The next day I called the electric company, and they said since the girl whose name the bill was under moved out, she took her name off the account, which made the company think no one lived at my apartment anymore! So they turned off the power. The night before Thanksgiving. AND since no one was working the day after Thanksgiving but the guy answering phones, they couldn't set up a new account for me until MONDAY. So that's 5 days without power. I've just been staying at my friend Amanda's house every night and work and do Christmas shopping during the day. I avoid the cold dark apartment as much as possible right now, and so are my roommates.

But alas, this weekend was a time of giving Thanks, and I must say I am so grateful for the path that I am now in, and that things are falling into place so nicely here in Utah. I finally feel like this is where I belong, at least for a while. I am also grateful for all the wonderful people I have in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you're back in my life and that of my family, holly! you are such an incredible person!! it was wonderful to have you at our Thanksgiving, and I hope to play with you again soon!!