Friday, November 4, 2011

My First Cruise (Hawaii!!!!)

My mom is quite wonderful. Both my parents have been my whole life... I seriously have been so spoiled it's ridiculous. Every so often my mom and I like to go on a trip of some sort. Last spring we went to the Bay Area to visit family we haven't seen in years and wander the streets of San Francisco, and hit the beach in Santa Cruz, but this time... it was a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands!! It was pretty surreal being on a ship... or... floating hotel.
We started in Oahu, and made our way down to Maui where we stayed for 2 days. In Maui we spent the first day on the beach... you know, get a little tan started ;) Or.... at least even out mine!!
The next day (day 2) we took a submarine 130ft into the ocean to look at the amazing reef. I love the reef. It has always fascinated me, but more so when I got to go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. It is really a whole different world down there, and so amazing to not see for yourself. We saw so many different species of fish, a sunken ship, and awesome corals.



That day we also walked around the little town of Lehaina, shopped in the little shops, and of COURSE ate at Bubba Gump's. The shrimp tacos were to die for. This little town reminded me a lot of Santa Cruz, CA.
We also visited the second-largest banyan tree in the world in Lehaina. This tree is amazing. The branches grow outward, and produce these long vines that, when they reach the ground, grow roots of their own and make their own tree! Amazing.
That night we sailed into Hilo, on the Big Island, and the next day (day 3) we took a helicopter ride to Mt. Kileuea where we got to fly over the huge Pu'u o'o Crater and the flowing lava. It was incredible to see that in real life! We flew over the massive flow from the 80's that covered a whole town, leaving one house ("Jack's house") standing. Also quite incredible.


(Jack's house is the little red dot):
The next day (day 4) my mom lounged on the ship drinking her pina coladas (out of a real pineapple of course) basking in the sun, while I took one of the lifeboats to shore where I went SCUBA DIVING!! My favorite thing in the world. I went out of Kona, which is an absolute beautiful place on the Big Island. The water was so clear and GREEN, looking at it from the shore. I went with only 3 other people, so it was very nice indeed. I would love to get certified and be able to go out every time I go to the ocean. I didn't get any pictures under water, but my mom and I hit up the town of Kona and went shopping later that afternoon, where I got some pictures of the area.

That night we sailed into Kauai, my favorite island. This place is a paradise. The whole island is mountainous and one huge rainforest... my kind of place :). Day 5 we soaked up the sun on the beach, and checked out the amazing gardens on the Marriott grounds. It's crazy because first minute it can be warm and sunny, and the next, a downpour! But the downpour never seemed to last more than 5 minutes.




That night we hit up a luau where we watched one of the best shows ever. The music was amazing, and so were the dancers. The food of course was good, but I still don't care for 'poi' much :p.




The next day (day 6) was our last full day, and we ended it with a "bang" and went zip-lining over the rainforest. This is something that's so fun to watch my mom do, because it's something adventurous she enjoys doing! She got a thrill out of it. I must add that this is the same zip-line that Johnny Depp did when he was filming "Pirates" ;). I love him.


Of course we went to many fancy dinners on the ship, and I even tried escargot! It wasn't bad. The ship is full of things I didn't know would be on a ship (I mean I was still picturing the Titanic when I thought of the inside of the ship before I got on...), like huge party rooms, theaters, so many bars I couldn't count, all with their own theme, pools, hottubs, a huge gym, you name it, they had it. Even "cute boys" like the one that called my mom and me "lovely ladies!" every time he saw us. I think his name was Ryan?




As we were leaving Kauai, the captain was kind enough to "swing by" the Na Pali coast on the North side of the island before making our way back to Oahu, which is South of Kauai. The sight was incredible. This is why this island is such a paradise:


All in all the trip was amazing, and I love everything about Hawaii. The natives are the friendliest people you will ever meet, and I just love the smells of plumeria and hibiscus everywhere you go, and the damp air on your skin. I would go back and live there in a heartbeat... if I were rich. Thank you, mom, for such a great trip! Sorry I P.M.S.'d for a lot of it, but I really did have so much fun ;)

1 comment:

Lemonhead said...

that looks like a blast! i want to go to hawaii so bad! you and your mom look so much alike, holy crap.