Well my Great Salt Lake Nature Center job with AmeriCorps has come to an end (end of term)... BUT I have a new job lined up! In fact my first day was yesterday. I now am a Public Programs Education Presenter at the Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy, UT. This means I have scheduled presentations that I give the people in the aquarium about a certain animal; could be the Gentoo Penguins, the Giant Pacific Octopus, the stingrays, the sharks, or the sea turtle, among many others! My first day I gave two presentations, and they went very well. I have just enough time to study up on them before I get out there (and I research the animals at home on my spare time of course) and give a fun, energetic, educational presentation right beside the tank of whatever I'm talking about. When I'm not giving presentations (only a couple a day), I am either roaming, talking to people and answering questions about what animals they're looking at, doing an "animal encounter" where I am holding either a taranchula, scorpion, roach or snake and talk about it and let people see it up close, or working at a "Bio-Facts" station at a touch-pool where people can touch the urchins and sea stars and I tell them about them. It's so fun and I am really enjoying it. It's only part-time, but maybe if I'm there for a while they can put me on full-time. I currently have another part-time evening job with an insurance company called Farm Bureau, and they pay very well so I will stick with that for a while.
The Living Planet Aquarium started about 7 years ago, and they are currently in an old Smith's Grocery Store building. They are currently working on building a new HUGE facility which will be ready in about 2 years. It's funny cuz you look at the outside of the building and are like "what.... THAT is an aquarium?" but then you walk in and it's actually pretty cool inside! They do a really good job. And not only that, but it's just really cool to be able to have an aquarium in a state inland. To check out more about this aquarium, check out: http://www.thelivingplanet.com/
2 comments:
Yay for new job!! I'm glad the first day went so well :) I'm going to have to come see you sometime!
that is such a Holly job! i love that you're doing that! -sam
Post a Comment