So this last Wednsesay (two days ago) I took a walk on the Provo trail around 4:30pm. The Provo trail passes right by my apartment, and goes all the way from the canyon to the lake, through all of Provo, and it's a nice little path that people jog and walk and bike on all the time. It was a really nice day so I wanted to take a walk along the river on the trail and see all the baby ducklings (I counted 17!). I stopped in this one little clearing where I could go right up to the river between some bushes, and stayed there for about 30 minutes or so and watched the ducklings and mamas swim around. People rode their bikes by every so often and families walked by with fishing poles. Totally safe, right?
Well little did I know, the whole time I was down there, just less than a half-mile down that same trail, a 19-year-old girl was lying in the bushes, as just a half-hour to an hour earlier she had been pulled from the woods near the trail, raped, and left for dead since the guy smashed her face in with a rock and left her unconscious there. She left her apartment at Brandbury Apartments just right down the trail at 3:30pm, and wasn't found until 6:20pm when she managed to crawl up near the trail where someone could see her. So the whole time I was there at the river she was there as well, about 800 yards away, and the guy was still on the loose.
Crazy thing is, when I was standing down there, a little family walked by and a little girl said to her dad "Look dad, more ducklings!!" like there were even more up the river (toward Branbury Apartments where the girl was). I thought about walking further on down the trail to check them out cuz they are so stinkin' cute and I wanted to see how many more there were since I had already seen so many, but something told me not to go. I just decided to stay right there. Even though it was such a nice day and I would have loved to walk further down the trail, I followed my prompting to not. Heavenly Father maybe?
Oh, and apparently I have met this girl. She was at one of my best friend's Jared's apartment one day visiting his roommate. She is such a beautiful girl. Her name is Mika Scott and she was getting into modeling. Her face is now bashed in, and her jaw is broken, and she's missing several teeth. She can only answer questions with a nod yes or no, and by using some sign language. Doctors say they believe she will survive. Please keep Mika in your prayers.
Just comes to show you should always follow your promptings. I learned to not walk alone on the Provo trail anymore. To read more about this story:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15268960?source=most_viewed
Update: The man suspected of raping Mika has been caught, as this man robbed a boutique at the Riverwoods in Provo later that same evening and stole a girl's cell phone and car, and when he got as far as Mona, UT (40 miles south of Provo), the cell phone signal was discovered and the cops tracked him down and caught him. He matched all the same descriptions as Mika had given (tattoos on his neck and arms, stocky build), so hopefully this is really the guy. The same night our apartment complex had about 5 cars broken into as well, including my roommate Lexy's car, so hopefully they'll be able to get their stuff back if it's the same guy.
1 comment:
Scary and horrible! Wow. Be safe.
- Heather
Post a Comment