Monday, September 20, 2010

More Big Life Changes

So I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this whole "I have a new job!" thing, but seriously now, if you read my last blog you will know what's up. With that, about a week after I posted that, I was laid off my job at Park City Mountain Resort as well, because they just had too many people working with too few visitors. So I went completely jobless. It was rough! This was only about 3 days before my trip to Oregon, so I'm like "screw it" and took my trip, leaving my stress behind. ALTHOUGH, I had applied for a job with AmeriCorps, hopeful that I would get that, but knew it would be far-fetched since it was pretty competitive: 30 applicants.

Well turns out, while I was in Oregon, I got an email saying I got an interview. I was one of 9 for the interview process. There are 2 positions open.

When I got back from Oregon, I had my interview the following day, and today, 4 days later, I got another email telling me I GOT THE JOB! This time, things are set. It's not just a seasonal job like all my other ones have been the past year. I will be an educational intern working for AmeriCorps under the Division of Wildlife outside Salt Lake City. I will be teaching kids and even adults about wildlife and conservation at the Great Salt Lake Nature Center on an 18,000-acre nature preserve. They have a 1.5-mile trail that takes people around the refuge where there are many great sights to see hundreds of different bird species (deer visit the refuge as well, but it's mainly for birds), where I will lead them around and give an interpretive talk. I will be there a full year, health insurance included, PLUS a $5,350 education reward at the end of my term. This job is perfect for me right now. It's something in my degree, and something that will look great on my resume, and prepare me to go to grad school to teach science in the future.

I'm now looking for a place to live in Salt Lake City, or nearby. Moving away from Provo will be bittersweet. I am looking forward to meeting new people, but at the same time leaving my ward family will be really hard. I will probably continue to go for a little while, but eventually I will be attending a different ward up where I live. Of course I can come down to visit my good friends any time, and they can come visit me in the city! And I know I am always welcome in my Bishop's and 1st and 2nd Councilor's homes :)

To see more about the Great Salt Lake Nature Center, visit http://greatsaltlakenaturecenter.org/homepage.html.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I bet it feels good to have gotten the job out of 30 applicants! GGGOOOOo HOLLY!!!